[wtp-releng] What's happened to our M3 candidate!!

First, the builds broke completely, since someone removed all source from
org.eclipse.jst.jee/appclientcreation
but did not remove appclientcreation
from the build.properties.
(a missing "source" entry is  considered a fatel error).
So, I fixed and released that change to build.properties ... assuming it really was supposed to have been removed???
But, maybe it was not supposed to have been removed, and that's the cause of one or both of the next two problems???

Second, there is a compile error in
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.ui
From the history, there's been no change in jst.ui that would account for it.
That is a HUGE error to introduce after the M3 candidate has been produced.
What happened? Are our adopter clients going to have the same problem?
Have we forgotten the priniciple of not breaking adopters? (including our own adoption!!)
Have we forgotten the principle of deprecating function, instead of just removing it?

Third, there is now 337 JUnit failures!!! After the M3 candidate was produced?!
We should have been fixing the two JUnit failures, not adding more.

I suspect there's perfectly reasonable explainations for all this, but thought I'd send this note
to make clear that those explainations should be documented here on wtp-releng for all of
us to understand.

Do we need to revert something in the interst of stability?

I should add that I appreciate agressive programming ... as long as it's done as a coordinated team,
and everyone can react immediately (e.g. over the weekend), and as long as the impact to our
many adopters is clear and well documnted.

Thank you.

Back to the top