Re: [wtp-releng] Do you use releng.builder? Proposed restructuring

John,  you are a brave soul and many thanks for improving our build infrastructure in this last few months.

Naci, can you comment on "what is fixed"? Should it just be removed? Or, would
you like to move your tool to it's own OSGi bundle and project under the new
releng.wtptools
What is fixed queries CVS changes and CVS comments and correlates them with bugzilla history for a given period of times (typically between two builds) and creates a report.  This is useful for generating a bug fix list for build since another as close to reality as possible.

When we wrote it we did a very simple minded implementation that took a very long time to run.  It uses xml-beans for parsing the xml files (hence the large libraries).

However, it has been patched to run under ten minutes for a build now, but it can be improved to use XML queries from bugzilla.

If people think that this report is still useful, we can patch it otherwise it is end-of-life :-)

Also, all, what's to become of the old releng.builder? Just nothing in head and left in place?
Or, should we have it deleted? I guess for appropriate version control, we should leave
all the old stuff in place, just not in head, with a small readme explaining why its empty.

Thanks,

John Lanuti/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/17/2007 04:46 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [wtp-releng] Do you use releng.builder?  Proposed restructuring

Hey team,

Ok, so I almost have things working again...  One more respin hopefully which is running now.

Once we have a successful build, I can confirm what was unecessary and out of date in releng.builder.  For convenience, I have temporarily lumped all of the build, test and api scan related *stuff* into releng.wtpbuilder.  However, this is not a great design and we really should try and trim down our releng.wtpbuilder to really only be build related artifacts.  To this end, I am proposing the creation of a new project called releng.wtptools where we can house any of our testing, performance, and api scanning tools we currently use.  This will be a much more straightforward and managable design then having like 4 or 5 projects all called builder.  This will also help keep our releng.wtpbuilder to be pure and just as the name would suggest, an actual wtp builder.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, before I make progress (and hopefully not too much regression)  on this?

Thanks,

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

John Lanuti/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/17/2007 12:28 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[wtp-releng] Do you use releng.builder?

Hopefully not.  :-)

The releng.builder was our old builder project which has been replaced by releng.wtpbuilder and releng.control.  There were a few items we still used the old releng builder for and I have now ported those items to also be in the new releng.wtpbuilder project.  I updated both the 1.5 and head stream of releng.wtpbuilder because releng.builder was not branched.  A 2.0 build is underway with these changes applied.  So far, so good.  :-)

Let me know if you have any questions on where to find something, or if you were using releng.builder for whatever reason.

Thanks,

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

Naci Dai,

eteration a.s.