Re: [wtp-releng] Do you use releng.builder? Proposed restructuring

Thanks for cleaning stuff up, John.

If I understand you right, releng.wtptools would be a new "top level" directory, and individual releng releted tool projects would then go under this directory?

I think worth documenting our tools off one of our build releated wiki pages.

org.eclipse.wtp.releng.tools
is the main tools I'm familar with

It is actually in a a map file, and built each build via
org.eclipse.wtp.releng.tests.feature
even though that version that is built is not necessarily immediately used -- just good hygiene :)

And, we have a CC target so it can be built seperatly.

When it's built seperately, it's actually uploaded to a special
download directory (a peer to 'committers' and 'downloads'), namely
~/downloads/webtools/wtpBuildTools/

The actual build, then, "pulls" the desired version of org.eclipse.wtp.releng.tools
from that download site, via our normal "dependancy" files, as setup in the
build.cfg file in releng.

Phew, good thing I wrote that down .... never realized how complicated it was :)

I suspect, though, this should be the pattern we use for all our releng tools.
If you agree, let's wite this up in the wiki and convert other releng tools to work similarly.

One implication, if not obvious, is that all our tools, IMHO, should be developed as
OSGi bundles and ran as Eclipse Apps, or, in some cases, as Ant Tasks.

Another request I have is to move "what is fixed" out of releng.wtpbuilder.
It has a pretty hefty set of jars in it, but is not really needed each build.
In fact, I'm not sure we ever run this any more.

Naci, can you comment on "what is fixed"? Should it just be removed? Or, would
you like to move your tool to it's own OSGi bundle and project under the new
releng.wtptools

Also, all, what's to become of the old releng.builder? Just nothing in head and left in place?
Or, should we have it deleted? I guess for appropriate version control, we should leave
all the old stuff in place, just not in head, with a small readme explaining why its empty.

Thanks,

John Lanuti/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/17/2007 04:46 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-releng] Do you use releng.builder?  Proposed restructuring

Hey team,

Ok, so I almost have things working again...  One more respin hopefully which is running now.

Once we have a successful build, I can confirm what was unecessary and out of date in releng.builder.  For convenience, I have temporarily lumped all of the build, test and api scan related *stuff* into releng.wtpbuilder.  However, this is not a great design and we really should try and trim down our releng.wtpbuilder to really only be build related artifacts.  To this end, I am proposing the creation of a new project called releng.wtptools where we can house any of our testing, performance, and api scanning tools we currently use.  This will be a much more straightforward and managable design then having like 4 or 5 projects all called builder.  This will also help keep our releng.wtpbuilder to be pure and just as the name would suggest, an actual wtp builder.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, before I make progress (and hopefully not too much regression)  on this?

Thanks,

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

John Lanuti/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/17/2007 12:28 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-releng] Do you use releng.builder?

Hopefully not.  :-)

The releng.builder was our old builder project which has been replaced by releng.wtpbuilder and releng.control.  There were a few items we still used the old releng builder for and I have now ported those items to also be in the new releng.wtpbuilder project.  I updated both the 1.5 and head stream of releng.wtpbuilder because releng.builder was not branched.  A 2.0 build is underway with these changes applied.  So far, so good.  :-)

Let me know if you have any questions on where to find something, or if you were using releng.builder for whatever reason.