[wtp-releng] Status of JEM and our WTP 1.5.4 builds -- keep for reference

We had all hoped we should simply ship the current JEM 1.2.3  in our WTP 1.5.4, but .. Chuck and Carl convinced me otherwise.

Carl and Chuck, please mark that bug for PMC Review, as we would any other -- which all the usual explanations, reviews, tests, etc.

In anticipation of us likely having to create a JEM 1.2.4, I put JEM in our WTP 1.5.4 builds this weekend.
What is there right now (Monday), should be exactly what has  been there before, when we downloaded JEM "pre-built",
but teams that depend on JEM should do some early testing this week (preferably Monday) to confirm all is well, before we
put in any fixes.

The following is reference information anyone will need to "follow along", or, most important :) to check in code for any fixes we need.

I created a branch, called R1_2_maintenance to follow the style we use in WTP. And, following my preferred style, branched
all the plugins/features of that component.

This branch was created from the code tagged R_1_2_3 (which represents the version we inherited from its former owners).

The tests are running pretty much the same way they are in our WTP 2.0 stream (but the Java5, EMF dependancies are different, naturally).
I say "pretty much" because on our build machine, with IBM's JRE, they do run the same, but on my local linux machine, which uses a Sun VM, there are a bunch
of errors related to AWT we've never seen before ... guess we in WTP don't use AWT (which is good)  ... and from what I've read from googling, for many
versions of Sun's JRE in 1.4, on linux there some special deprecated X libraries you have to have installed. We'll see if I get around to that!

The map file, for the JEM code is in the R1_5_maintenance branch of WTP releng map files, so when that is where to "release" JEM code for WTP 1.5.4,
or, i n other words for JEM 1.2.4.

Currently, the code is all bundled up with WST feature, but will likely package a separate feature for it, just to be available to others.

I'll make a little broader announcement to VE community, just to keep them informed, once I'm sure all is well.

Let me know if any questions.

Back to the top