Re: [wtp-releng] More on JUnit's policy and principles

Sure, notes all around when declared. But so far, our JUnit's are not mature enough, or comprehensive enough, to indicate "regression free" to the general community.
That's why I think they currently only serve a role to committers, to let them know of problems.

And, again, the "yank" is only a last resort if the bug can not be fixed ... to fix is always the first choice!
And ... it's sad, but some of the failing JUnit's have been failing for quite a few days before anyone even
started to investigate them. If there is a project process problem to solve, it is that one.

John (thanks for volunteering :) ... can I ask you to monitor the day to day JUnits and make sure teams are addressing failures?
I used to do that, but am finding I should not be on that critical path.
Long term, I'll investigate better notification to specific component leads if their component has
failures .. but, that's not going to happen over the next few weeks.

Thanks,

John Lanuti/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/26/2007 09:20 AM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-releng] More on JUnit's policy and principles

I'm a bit skeptical about the blanket yanking of failing JUnits which are actually functioning properly and detecting real problems.

David - "And, it's my belief it's actually a bad practice to leave 'known failing tests' in the suite, since it teaches everyone to ignore nonzero numbers, since they are often nonzero. "

Well, one could certainly argue doing the opposite is just as bad.  Everyone will ignore zero numbers because they are always zero because WTP always removes any failing test.

So, neither solution is really ideal in my mind.  Certainly, I think if a JUnit is pulled, then there should be a build note explaining which JUnit and why it was pulled.  Or on the contrary, if we leave a failing JUnit in, and still want to declare, we should add a build note describing why the failing JUnit is still failing.  I see the platform with failing JUnits quite often.  I'm not sure there is precedence for this test removing.

I guess I could go either way, but I'd like to see us use the build notes, so an adopter/committer can look there for "truthful" information about the build's health.

John Lanuti
IBM Web Tools Platform Technical Lead, IBM Rational
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
jlanuti@xxxxxxxxxx
t/l 441-7861

Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/25/2007 07:20 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [wtp-releng] More on JUnit's policy and principles

Hi David,

I do not object to declaring an I-build this week without this problem fixed. I agree that we do not need to wait for the schema to be restored to declare the RC. There is a simple work around using the XML catalog that can be used where necessary.

Unfortunately I was not on today's status call and did not get the whole story. Thank you for bringing me up to speed. I'd like to retract my statement about disapproving the removal of this test. With the bug open so we won't forget about this issue I'm happy to proceed as you suggest with commenting out the test until we have a fix. I certainly wouldn't want to be a part of facilitating the bad practice of ignoring failing JUnits. :)

Thanks again,

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/25/2007 06:32 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-releng] More on JUnit's policy and principles

>  I've got to voice my disapproval of commenting out this failing test.

Lawrence, perhaps you mean you object to us declaring a  build this week if this problem is not fixed? If so, please let us know.

But otherwise, the failing JUnit's are first and foremost for committers to know there's a problem. Once known, a bug is open,
folks begin to work on it with a priority measured right along with every other bug, but if it can not be fixed right away, there is no further
advantage to displaying the failing JUnit's. And, it's my belief it's actually a bad practice to leave "known
failing tests" in the suite, since it teaches everyone to ignore nonzero numbers, since they are often nonzero.

I requested this action the status call, so you might not have known the whole story behind the brief summary,
if you were not on the status call.

I definitely agree with you this problem is serious and needs to be fixed. My own opinion is we do not need to wait until the "ibm.com" site is
fixed for us to declare this RC, but if you and other committers think we should wait for ibm.com to fix their site, then I'd want to know that, and
the details of why.

Thanks