[udig-dev] Fwd: EMF and render subsystem

Happy new year everybody!

regarding the open pull request https://github.com/locationtech/udig-platform/pull/208 I was thinking about:

* splitting up render-Stuff from project bundle into an new render bundle to have clear responsibilities for
  * projects and maps (as persist-able models), and
  * extendable render system that is dependent from project plugin (e.g. Layer, Map, etc.)

Prior I need some input from you former developers and project contributors:
* What is the reason, benefit and idea behind using Eclipse EMF for render (render.ecore)
* Are there some UI related notifications I'm not aware of and are necessary for core functionality of udig?
* Do you have information about:
  * how to generate code from model?
  * best practices how to handle generated code and additional code in the same classes?

My impression is that anyone can maintain the code and due to some restrictions of EMF (Not Thread-safe at all) causes issues in Applications which are displaying content of the map using streams (Notifications) rather than changed by a User interaction (which was the origin idea of uDig I guess).

However, we need your help and looking forward to get a much more stable uDig product if we can refactor render sub-system a bit.

Thanks a ton
--
Frank

Back to the top