Re: [udig-dev] Advanced Style Editors and expected behavior with "Style List"

Hi Frank,
given that I didn't try the style importer and didn't see the code, I
will try to answer as author of the style dialog.

> While bugfixing UDIG-1737 I stumbled about the import/export and apply
> functionallity.
>
> Resources :
> *
> http://udig.github.io/docs/user/reference/Feature%20Style%20Pages.html#simple-polygons
> * Github Pull request for 1737 :
> https://github.com/locationtech/udig-platform/pull/190
>
> What I did:
> * Opended a Style editor for polygon layer
> * imported a style from SLD file which contains PolygonSymbolizers,
> PointSymbolizers and TextSymbolizers from file system

I do not think that a style containing different geomerty type
symbolizers is supported. What kind of layer are you styling? Only 1
geometry layers are supported for styling.

> * All Styles are displayed in the list correctly
> * I selected a Point-Style and hit "apply" buttond down in the midle
> * I got serveral NullPointerExpections
>
> What I expected:
> * the Importer should ignore Symbolizers that cannot be applied to the
> current featureType

That needs to be coded, I am pretty sure that is not considered.

> * or the apply Button should filter the Symbilizers before adding a new rule
>
> Can somebody describe the Story behind the "Style List" Composite and the
> expected behavior?

You can create Styles and save those styles as a library. That library
can be shared between users of uDig. This works only with styles
created by uDig as SLD. There are for sure 1000 cornercases that SLD
has and that were not considered.

> I'm not sure about the behavior for follwoing Style-Elements and whats the
> best way to validate and handle it:
> * Are filters applied as well (referenceing a property that doesn't exists
> for the current feature type)

nope, never been.

> * PointSymbolizers for LineStrings that have a "geometry" function such as
> vertices (e.g.
> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-extensions/geometry-transformations.html#examples)

geometry function is not supported.

> * property access of featureTypeAttributes is problematic in general because
> names differ between featureTypes (the_geom vs geometry vs geom)

Cheers,
Andrea