Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 23:21:20 +1100
Subject: Re: [udig-dev] Batchtool for generation of index files ?
From: jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx
To: stephandeckers@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: udig-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Simply reading the shapefile with GeoTools should create an index (they have a connection parameter that can be used to avoid creating an index if you want). So if you are a Java developer you could make a quick program using GeoTools. If you are familiar with another language you may wish to look at GeoScript to accomplish the same goal.

Perhaps what you could do is just import the shapefile to the uDig catalog (and then right click to count the features or something). As long as it is doing that work in the background (and now while trying to draw the screen) uDig should remain responsive.

Jody Garnett