Re: [udig-devel] deadlock … fixed!

2013/2/13 Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx>

> Just a report back from IRC land (with moovida and mauro).
>
> Frank your "rollback" of blackboard synchronisation locking has removed the deadlock.
>
> Thinking about it for a bit:
> a) your change is nice and clear (I see you experimented with different locks)

As a first try I used a standard lock but after your code review we
decided to use ReentrantLock like all other class that uses locks.

> b) what we missed was consider thread locking used by tools - as depending on which order they access the blackboard they could (and did) manage to deadlock themselves

> I also checked the use of "EditFeature" which was the change I suspected of causing issues. Turns out it is not used by edit tools at all and can be ruled out as a cause of trouble.

I haven't reviewed the EditManagerImpl and associated classes in terms
of threading issues. And, sorry for that, I haven't tested walktrough
2 before committing my changes ..
However, I guess its worth to work with fair locks, let me try my
changes with an additional fair=true constructor parameter for
ReentrantLock

Frank