Re: [udig-devel] spatial toolbox improvement help

Hi Jody,
I knew you would help me out in this :)

> Those are some deep questions for first thing in the morning, I am not aware
> of how spatial toolbox is put together enough to help? It sounds from your
> email as if it is OSGi / plugin based? But running in a separate process ...

Nope, it is way lesse sophisticated. It adds the jars in the plugins
to the classpath and spawns a new VM to run a module.

> Aside: I was under the impression spatial toolbox is spawning a separate VM
> to work around license / linking issues. In much the same way as uDig to "R"
> bridge works.

Nope, the licensing part is taken care by passing through a scripting
part, which doesn't know anything about uDig (only geotools and
jgrasstools, i.e. OMS annotated classes) and therefore can be run ok.

> A couple "wild" suggestions (general approach to avoid waiting for VM):
>
> 1) See if you can break this up into two steps, start up a VM early (say
> when view is opened), and then punt jars over to it when you need to run
> (I am thinking similar to how Eclipse talks to a JUnit Test, while being
> able to "hot swap" code changes in)

That sounds quite nice, do you have any documented example/tutorial? I
have no idea about how that would work.

> 2) Do the "R" thing and start your separate VM with a small server program
> to talk to, and tell it to load / run the jars as required?

Same here, even if I am not really happy to have to write a server
part that balances things.

> For the specifics on MANIFEST fun you may wish to ask Frank ?

:) Let's see if he pings back.

Thanks,
Andrea