Re: [udig-devel] udig.github.com

On Friday, 31 August 2012 at 6:32 PM, Frank Gasdorf wrote:
Hi Jody,

If you are happy with the http://udig.github.com
pages I would like to update the main website
to point to them? discuss on email list

Nice to hear, that the sphinx docs are used for the help plugin.
toc.xml generation would be great! any news about this?
I did the second best thing; there is now a normal test case in the doc folder; so when you run "mvn install" it will produce a failure
if the toc.xml file in out of sync with the various RST files (either referencing a page that does not exist anymore, or failing to have a reference to a new page).

Idea: Add a second that checks for broken (or unused) images.

The really good thing deploying the html pages over to the help plugin; it means we are no longer committing massive generated ZIP files.

IMHO the structure of the current docs isn't, lets say well defined.
Here are the points of my TODO list to get it pretty:

* missing table of content -> IMHO every page should have one on the
right side to jump directly to a header (sphinx theme and layout
configuration)
Understood. If we can keep this at the sphinx theme level it would be good - as I have set the "simple" theme to be very very minimal
for the generation of the online help.

* "Contents" in the header is fixed and has link to the root document
-> IMHO this should be context aware from the current page to the
"parent page of it", I've no idea how to solve this at the moment
I think we can turn on some form of breadcrumbs in the template, and when you do you can say how many to show. Showing "1" would just be the parent right?
* udig Home link points to udig.refractions.net, if this is right, the
main page of udig.refractions.net links to developer guide and user
docs should switch to udig.github.com (Was this your initial
question?)
Right now http://udig.refractions.net/developers/ has some links that point to confluence;

I want to point them to:
- http://udig.github.com/docs/user/
- http://udig.github.com/docs/dev/

And then shut off those two confluence spaces (as they are out of date).

* http://udig.github.com/ and udig.refractions.net are quite redundant
We have a restriction that refractions would like to keep the home page; much like they do with http://postgis.refractions.net/
In anycase I am talking about fixing the links to jump straight to the user guide, and developer guide pages - so we should be okay.

- we should avoid this, probably the entry point at github should
delegate to udig.refractions.net (see

I had trouble following that page; I am not sure I would go to much trouble now - as I expect we will throw the docs over to eclipse / location tech.
It is just that the sphinx transition has worked so well as seems ready to go before location tech.
* links to walkthrough's
* links to "Appliction User Guide" and rename to "Application User Guide"
(I think "User Guide" will be fine)
* all links section to the developer guide in the UDIG
Agreed.
When writing this bullet lists I thought about automatic deployment
during maven build using the webdav plugin. What do you think about
Doing so the github page should point to this docs.

and if we release we could create folders like that:

etc
I got a bit confused there; I cannot tell if you are considering redirecting URLs around; or if you are considering using "webdav" to deploy the files.
Can I try this procedure of is the hdd space at refraction limited to do so?
The docs do not take up any room compared to all the releases already stored (each of which includes a copy of the docs). So space should be fine.

Jody

Back to the top