[udig-devel] rst2pdf

- I thought about using the rst2pdf extension to export pdf out of it but it failed to install it with sudo easy_install rst2pdf. I guess its because of my python env (2.5.1) and a missing dependencies .. Do you know how to update python on mac osx (lion)?
Please use "home brew" to install python, and PIL and sphinx-build and so on. It is much easier.
Oh, had a looooong sleepless night because of this. I used mac port
and got several compile errors at the end during rst2pdf installation.
Tried it with python26 and python27 but it failed.. :( Strange, on
Windows I haven't had this problem ;)
I was able to use homebrew to install the latest python; and then easy_install to grab sphinx-build and rst2pdf. Installing PIL is usually the hard part (you may find it easier to download an installer rather then build it yourself).

There are two ways to generate PDF
a) rst2pdf requires we do some configuration; which I am not sure is done in our common.py yet. I spent two weeks trying to get this to go for GeoTools a while back; and did not like the results.
b) use of sphinx to generate latex; and then process the latex. This is what the geoserver manual does (and what LISAsoft does internally). There are some odd restrictions on what the conversion process can handle (I seem to recall wasting a day on bullet points in a sidebar not working).

For my last GeoTools workshop the solution for me was to open up the tutorial pages in a browser and print to PDF.

I have tried a quick conversion using rst2pdf (after adding configuration to common.py) - the result comes up a bit strange as shown below; however it does produce something.
Jody

Back to the top