Re: [udig-devel] Google Summer of Code does uDig want to particpate?

I have offered to be a backup mentor for Davide Savazzi, who has offered to be a mentor for Neo4j Spatial projects. As with last year Neo4j are applying as their own organization, and Wolf and Anne of OSGeo are vouching for us. However, we suspect that, as with last year, google will not include neo4j, and so Wolf and Anne have agreed to also support Neo4j Spatial projects in OSGeo. However, it has become uncreasingly unclear exactly where we fit in the OSGeo space, but historically we have been in the uDig world, and so I updated the uDig wiki with some minor changes (mostly changing of tense to be relevant to 2012). It is the older confluence wiki at http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/Summer+of+Code

So, the question arises, should Neo4j Spatial really be within the uDig wiki? Is it a uDig project or not. Last year we thought it was more of a geotools project, but since geotools was not doing gsoc, we stayed with uDig. We ended up with two students, one more internal (ie. more geotools-like) and one more visual (actual uDig project). Sadly the uDig project failed, while the internal 'geoproccessing' one succeeded. I wonder if this year the slide to internal work, backend work, geoprocessing, etc will continue.

Personally I am happy with aligning the Neo4j Spatial work with uDig, since it is a nice community, so I'd love to stay there, but I think this is not really my decision :-)

Any comments?

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM, andrea antonello <andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So if you are comfortable please sign us up :)

:) I have no idea what we have to do to sign up.
Let's do it as co-mentors: you give me a focus on what we have to do
and I will then actually do it :)

Oh, and tell Mark, he owes me :)

Cheers,
Andrea