Re: [udig-devel] Problem compiling udig for the first time

Morning Can:

I was working on those instructions yesterday due to some questions. However it is looking like it is tripping up over perhaps a difference in version of Java?

Things to look for:
- Can I ask you what version of Java you are using; sometimes it shows up as "JRE System Library [...]" in the Package Explorer?
- Go over the compiler settings? Is it set for Java 6? We used to ask people explicitly set this; but since people use Java 6 now it shows up as the default?
- What version of Eclipse? I have some reports on the GeoTools project of people getting new creative compile errors around generics (i.e. exactly your problem) using the latest Eclipse 3.7.1 ?

As an example the NavigationPreferenceInitializer is very short and compiles with out error for me:

public class NavigationPreferenceInitializer extends AbstractPreferenceInitializer {

    @Override

    public void initializeDefaultPreferences() {

        Preferences node = DefaultScope.INSTANCE.getNode(ToolsPlugin.ID); <--- LINE 17

        node.putBoolean(NavigationToolPreferencePage.SCALE,false);

        node.putBoolean(NavigationToolPreferencePage.TILED,false);

    }

}

That code is very simple so I am hard pressed to see where the problem is? But I suppose that will make it easier to fix ...

Could you check DefaultScope.INSTANCE - is that showing up for you?

Could you check ToolsPlugin.ID and check that it exists?

Other than that drop by on IRC and we can try and help?
--
Jody Garnett