[udig-devel] NLS missing message

--f46d044788ff4c8ee104b2fb16ed

Hi Andrew,
nice to read you here and to open up the channels again after the great
discussion we had some time ago. I am glad to see this thing starts to roll.

[...]
> Could someone please help me understand if there's a single copyright
holder of
> uDig code, or if it's many - approximately how many?

Hmmm I would guess that the copyright of most of the current code is with
Refractions.
In the last year I am sure we had additions by HydroloGIS (since I made
those), I would guess also Camp2Camp and Axios. Then there might be another
player related to the Bookmarking system if I recall correctly.

So I would guess more or less 5 players, where 97% is probably with just
one.

> Also, the LGPL dependencies used by uDig may cause some challenges. LGPL,
> while a liberal license, has some pro-reverse engineering language that
scares big
> companies. For this reason, it is my understanding LGPL is discouraged at
the
> Eclipse Foundation (I may be understating this).

I got the same impression.

> I believe GPL is strictly forbidden for Eclipse projects.

Definitely, I spent some emails with FSF vs. Eclipse Foundation to try to
get this working. The verdict is that it does not work. There are many
plugins out there that are GPL, but they really need to present an
exception for RCP environments to be really valid.

To be honest, I would lean towards EPL if we join the foundation, in order
to follow their path. I am quite sure that those that chose LGPL are
perfectly happy with EPL also, it is just that it is not common to consider
EPL outside of eclipse based projects.
But obviously the last word lies with the copyright holders, I am just
giving my 2cents here.

Ciao,
Andrea

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
>

> On 11/29/2011 10:29 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>
>> I have renamed the RFC page to the following:
>> - http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Eclipse+Foundation
>>
>> I have updated the Q&A section based on discussion on the email list.
>>
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>

> --
> Andrew Ross
> Director, Ecosystems
> Eclipse Foundation
> Twitter: @AR_Eclipse
> Mobile: 1-613-614-5772

--f46d044788ff4c8ee104b2fb16ed

nice to read you here and to open up the channels again after the great dis=
cussion we had some time ago. I am glad to see this thing starts to roll.</=
p>
&gt; Could someone please help me understand if there&#39;s a single copyri=
ght holder of <br>
&gt; uDig code, or if it&#39;s many - approximately how many?</p>
h Refractions.<br>
In the last year I am sure we had additions by HydroloGIS (since I made tho=
se), I would guess also Camp2Camp and Axios. Then there might be another pl=
ayer related to the Bookmarking system if I recall correctly.</p>
 one.</p>
 LGPL, <br>
&gt; while a liberal license, has some pro-reverse engineering language tha=
t scares big <br>
&gt; companies. For this reason, it is my understanding LGPL is discouraged=
 at the <br>
&gt; Eclipse Foundation (I may be understating this). </p>
o get this working. The verdict is that it does not work. There are many pl=
ugins out there that are GPL, but they really need to present an exception =
for RCP environments to be really valid.</p>

er to follow their path. I am quite sure that those that chose LGPL are per=
fectly happy with EPL also, it is just that it is not common to consider EP=
L outside of eclipse based projects.<br>

But obviously the last word lies with the copyright holders, I am just givi=
ng my 2cents here.</p>
&gt; Cheers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Andrew<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 11/29/2011 10:29 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I have renamed the RFC page to the following:<br>
&gt;&gt; -=A0<a href=3D"http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG=
/Eclipse+Foundation">http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Ec=
lipse+Foundation</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I have updated the Q&amp;A section based on discussion on the emai=
l list.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; --=A0<br>
&gt;&gt; Jody Garnett<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; Andrew Ross<br>
&gt; Director, Ecosystems<br>
&gt; Eclipse Foundation<br>
&gt; Twitter: @AR_Eclipse<br>
&gt; Mobile: 1-613-614-5772<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://udig.refractions.net";>http://udig.refractions.net</a=