Re: [udig-devel] RFC in progress: Next generation resource persistence in uDig

I agree with Andrea.  You can do a quick feasability study of changing the package names to eu.udig but I want you to focus on the persistance task and not get distracted.  You are tackling a rather giant amount of work as it is :).

I took a look at the proposal.  What is the ability to control the loading of layer with CDO?  I recently tried to fix a bug that is simply impossible to accomplish with the current implementation and if we change the persistence mechanism I would like to be sure we can fix that issue as well.

Essentially the problem was that during the creation of a layer events were raised that triggered resources in the catalog to be loaded when they should not have been.  I would like to be able to have good hooks into the loading process so we can control it well.

Also is it worth having such a complex solution?  I know lots of people are extremely intimidated by the EMF model and would like a simpler solution.  Are there any alternatives?   I am not saying we should not go with CDO as I am comfortable with EMF, I just want to make sure we look at other potential alternatives as well.

Jesse