De: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] En nombre de Jody Garnett [jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx]
Enviado el: miércoles, 22 de junio de 2011 10:46
Para: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Asunto: Re: [udig-devel] Udig and WMS tiles

There are kind of two answers here:

- There are tiled map servers we can use to fetch tiles; the tile servers that speak the "WMS-C" protocol are really just normal WMS servers that indicate what tile size and zoom levels to use for access - and ask that each client makes requests in exactly the same way for performance reasons. This system is nice in that you can configure it to store tiles on disk for a much faster experience next time you run.

If you install geowebcache or tilecache it will make use of this technique (you do not even need to configure geowebcache to "cache" - it is more that it tells uDig how you want it to ask for tiles in a consistent fashion).

- We could make some modifications to the uDig support for "tile servers" so that you can fill in this information and treat a normal WMS as if it was producing tiles.  It would involve some configuration as we would need to supply the tile sonze and zoom levels - but the result would support a local tile cache and rescaling - at some loss of quality when the zoom level does not match up exactly. If you are interested in this work we could start a conversation on the udig-devel list.

- The Tiled Rendering system is an experiment started by Refractions and not really completed to my satisfaction (it crashes ever time on mac for example). It uses the normal uDig renderer to draw into a series of tiles which it holds in memory allowing for faster scrolling in an interactive mapping application such as tracking a moving car.

--
Jody Garnett