Re: [udig-devel] tagging and release procedure

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/10/2010, at 5:29 PM, Jesse Eichar wrote:

There are no conventions that I am aware of.  We can tag anything we want, but perhaps we can create tags of the form:

Release/1.2.1-RC1

I have been thinking about it and I think we should have an associated branch on the public repository for each release line.

For example I can see having:

master
1.2.x
2.0.x

1.2.x would have several tags and possibly we can even consider sub-branches (although for now lets avoid them)

I thought there may be something since you have the option of indicating "standard" svn structure when importing an svn repository; figured it may import it into whatever the git standard is.

I should mention that a branch can be created from a tag so you for releasing you just need to create a tag and then you can construct a branch when needed. For example:

git tag release/1.2.1

(then later)

git co -b release/1.2.1 release/1.2.1.x

that would take the tag: release/1.2.1 and create the branch release/1.2.1.x

I would like to see that releases (including RCs) be tagged with the release/ prefix so they can be easily identified as branches and tags based on and around releases.

In my repos I often have branch structures like:

bug/1223
improvement/666
release/1.2.x

and thus logically grouping the work I am doing.

Jesse

Back to the top