Re: [udig-devel] WMS-C hackery - review please?

Jody Garnett wrote:
Hi Emily:

I have been hacking away at WMS-C support and would not mind a review:

Ok.

- modified parsing code to "skip" any TileSet for which we do not
support the projection (ie CRS is null). I feel bad about this one;
but it is *really* annoying to try things that do not work; on the
other hand it is sad not to show everything ...

Question - can we display them but not allow people to add them to the map? Sort of like services that we can't connect to. This would allow people to know they are there but there is some issue with them. If not, then I guess you can hide them; it might confuse people though. I know I would get a little confused if I looked at the getCapabilities document and saw it and then didn't see it in udig.

Maybe we can come up with a warning in the connection dialog - "some tileset projections are not supported and not shown below?"

- the url handling code was producing http://sigma.opengeo:-1/
internally because a port was not provided; I modified the URL
generating code but could not figure out why it was needed (ie why the
URL was not used as provided?)

For the readCapabilities document I don't see any reason why we can't just use service. I think when we first wrote it I assumed that you had to strip off all the arguments, but it seems that is an incorrect assumption.

In terms of the buildBaseTileRequestFunction - I think if we just return service.toString() we'll get duplicate 'request=' parameters and confuse the wmsc? Won't we get something like 'request=getCapabilities&tiled=true&request=getMap....'? Anyways that is why we are building our own url, because this is what I thought would happen.

- decided to hold onto the couldNoTConnect exception and rethrow
rather than parse each time

Where are you doing this? I suspect it is fine; however I'm wondering what happens if you have a poor internet connection and you have intermittent connections. I seem to recall trying to connect with one tile and getting and error and trying again with a second tile and getting that tile. Maybe I don't understand what you are saying here.

- Service.dispose() was tripping up and calling members() in order to
dispose each member; if we were unable to connect - this call made the
WMSC code try and connect again!

Ok this doesn't sound good; I assume you fixed it?

Emily

Jody