Re: [udig-devel] Udig & Hibernate (Spatial and not)

We have produced hibernate datastores previously; with mixed success. There was also a "jpox" integration project (another OR mapper) that was done up by a couple of students.

It is very easy to make a UserData binding for the JTS Geometry objects and thus have full hibernate happiness in your application.

You will also find that the code base is capable of rendering POJOs; but also that POJOs (and hibernate) is not really set up for GIS (methods to quickly query by bounding box are preferable etc...).

What other teams have done is host their objects on the map blackboard; or layer blackboard and treat development of there OO application as a separate concern. Then used a mapgrpahic to render what the objects are doing onto the screen.

For an example of this please review "birds" example in tutorials on trunk. It actually uses a special "glass pane" to render the objects (birds in this case) and also documents how to use a MapViewer (similar to a JFace viewer but uses the uDig code to provide a visualization).

Reading between the lines it looks like you main focus is on managing the relationships between tables (something the feature model in geotools is still aways away from handling). You may find it easier to construct a view of your model for visualization; and use the normal rendering pipeline for display; while still using hibernate for all your data management and modification. I recommend spring remoting for these uses.

However for more of this we would need a conference call; and I would refer you to my consulting rates :-)

Cheers,
Jody