[udig-devel] WMS-C Caching Demo

I was talking to Jody about WMS-C briefly and he was asking why the list of demos from this site didn't work.
http://sigma.openplans.org:8080/geowebcache/demo?tiled=true

For wms-c server to work you have to point it at a url that returns an xml document with a vendor specific capabilities section that contains a definition of the tilesets. I couldn't figure out how to get that document from the above url. I tried this without any success.
http://sigma.openplans.org:8080/geowebcache/service/wms?request=GetCapabilities

I also tried the getCapabilities of the main geoserver however was unable to get a capabilities document that included tileset definitions.

Jody if you want a demo site that works (at least it worked for viewing data for me) try this site that John identified:
http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&tiled=true

(As John pointed out there are a few issues with this if we close and re-open uDig but hopefully these will get sorted soon).

Emily

John Hudson wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm starting a custom build that will require features from the trunk, particularly WMS-C, the custom build involves mostly two fronts:

1.       Disk caching TileCache

2.       Exporting the disk cache MapInfo .TAB files.

Is anyone currently working on WMS-C?  Jody mentioned in an email last month that we (LISAsoft) might have be getting some work on this, I guess that's my queue to say "we get the work, YAY!"... so looking at uDig, this is where I'm at:

After building uDig from the trunk, there is a few issues I would like to fix:

                testing with:
                http://wmsc1.terrapages.net/getpngmap?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&tiled=true
                http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&tiled=true

·         Upon restarting uDig, (most times) wms-c layers are not rendered and causes a NPE here:

java.lang.NullPointerException
      at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Double.parseDouble(Unknown Source)
      at net.refractions.udig.catalog.wmsc.server.TiledWebMapServer.<init>(TiledWebMapServer.java:93)
      at net.refractions.udig.catalog.internal.wmsc.WMSCServiceImpl.getWMSC(WMSCServiceImpl.java:187)
      at net.refractions.udig.catalog.internal.wmsc.WMSCServiceImpl.members(WMSCServiceImpl.java:105)
      at net.refractions.udig.catalog.internal.CatalogImpl.getChildById(CatalogImpl.java:537)
at net.refractions.udig.catalog.internal.CatalogImpl.find(CatalogImpl.java:292)

·         In Window --> Preferences --> WMS-C Tiles: Disk Cache Location is ignored when preloading cache (win32), it is instead just downloaded to "c:/tilecache"

·         uDig crash's when preloading WMS-C layers, (NPE in TileImageReadWriter.writeTile) (disk not full)

Possible issues / functionality to be implemented:

·         On Disk Cache doesn't populate

Once these are fixed I will need to add:

·         Cache expiry rules (as an extension to the current options in WMS-C Tiles)

·         Export plugin to export to MapInfo .TAB files

Cheers,

Johnathon Hudson
Software Engineer
LISAsoft Pty Ltd

john.hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:john.hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Level 1, 30 Currie Street
Adelaide SA 5000 AUSTRALIA
Ph: +61 8 8425 8050
Fax: +61 8 8425 8099
Mobile: +61 402 300 415
Website: www.lisasoft.com<http://www.lisasoft.com/>

The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this email is free of viruses or other defects. If you have received this communication in error, you may not copy or distribute any part of it or otherwise disclose its contents to anyone. Please advise the sender of your incorrect receipt of this correspondence.