[udig-devel] Re: Message bundles

Hi Harald,

the German translation and help was (more or less exclusively) done by me ... in my spare time, I should add. I am glad there's someone else interested in having a good German translation.

Harald typed:

> Localization is nice, in theory. In practice, localizations tend to be
> incomplete or outdated, or both...

I've tried to deliver German translations for every two to three milestones and think the German translation for uDig 1.1 is more or less complete, apart from a few pieces of uDig that do not support i18n. Certainly it is the most complete translation to my knowledge.

I have not yet begun translating 1.2 (trunk) though.

> That's why I usually set nl = en, preferring good English to bad German
Me too, in Eclipse f.e.

> With nl = de, things are much the same, only for different message keys.

I've tried to be as consistent as possible, but some things always slip through - maybe a result of the fact that version 1.1 took over two years to be released and I had several translation runs spread over that time frame.

If you find inconsistencies, go ahead and fix them. I hate inconsistencies too.

You will also note that there are a LOT of duplicate texts and strings (in English and consequently in German too), but I didn't see it as my task to fix this.

> And it doesn't really make sense to work on a localization if the master
> language resources are inconsistent.

I have sometimes fixed English mistakes too, but I usually constrain myself to the German files.

> Apart from missing or unused properties, I also noted some grammar and
> semantic issues with the German localization. I could help out on those if you
> let me know how.

"Vier Augen sehen mehr als zwei."
::-)

Sure you can fix them. Please note that I used old German grammar.
--
Matthias Basler
matthiasbasler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top