Re: [udig-devel] Tiled Rendering and MapGraphics

Hmm I think I get what you are trying to say here.

I would need a single list of mapgraphics layers that are rendered to a "screen tile". Then when I go to compose my tiles I can extract the section of the mapgraphic image that corresponds to the section of the tile I am composing. Hmm sounds like fun to implement!

One question - If I want to start treating MapGraphics as "special" renderers (so I can do different things based on the type of renderer) I need a way to distinguish between regular renderers and mapgraphic renderers. All the mapgraphic classes are in a different package so I can't simply to an "instanceof MapGraphic" test and I know it's not the correct thing to add the MapGraphic package as a dependency; so how do I go about determining if a renderer is a "special" renderer (in this case a mapgraphic renderer).

Thanks
Emily

Jody Garnett wrote:
Jesse the "tiling" system would still need to suck out a small tile worth of the main mapgraphic image when composing a "tile" for display ... unless the one specific case where the mapgraphic is "ontop" of the data layers that are all being tiled up.

Emily I would suggest having the mapgraphic write into an image the size of the screen; and giving the "tiled renderer" the ability to select out a rectangle from this large image for use when "composing" the BufferedImage for an individual Tile...

Not sure if I explained that very well...
Jody

Jesse Eichar wrote:
IMHO I think that MapGraphics should not be part of the tiling. The reasoning is that they are supposed to be light-weight and fast. They should normally be fast enough without tiling. And often are independent of zoom so how would you know when to cache and when not to.

Jesse