Re: [udig-devel] missing prj files

> Here's a proposal for how things should operate when layers do not have
> CRSs.  Let me know where you disagree:
>
> 1.  Empty map.  Just show the data

Which means generic 2d? right

> 2.  Add a prj-less layer to a map with all prj-less layers.  Just display it
> all in the more or less cartesian projection

As 1, ok.

> 3.  Add a prj-less layer to a map with the a SRS then the layer will display
> if the coords are the same

Exactly, you mean in the same region, right, and therefore assuming
that they are in the same projection.

> 4.  Add a referenced layer with the same srs to a map with all prj-less
> layers then the map will ...
> 5.  Add a referenced layer with a different srs to a map with all prj-less
> layers then the map will ...
>
> 4 and 5 are slightly more difficult.  I noticed that right now the
> projection will be set if the map does not have an SRS.  There are 4
> 1.  The map stays with the *Generic* CRS and zooms to the new layer
> 2.  The map stays with the *Generic* CRS and the bounds stay the same
> 3.  The map changes CRS to the new layer and zooms to show the new layer
> 4.  The map changes CRS and doesn't zoom.
>
> It think I'm in favour of 1 on the principal of least surprise.

Same for me here. Note that we are doing this for users that probably
do not know exactly what they are doing.
What they want is to see something. As far as we are not changing
anything in the files, I think that is ok.

> What about warnings.  1 warning may be ok but I dont want anymore than that.

Ok for me.

> Note:  I am currently testing Shapefiles only.  I don't know how this
> affects WMS.  Might be interesting to look for bugs there too.

And the same for images. But again I think that will work the same.

Andrea