Re: [udig-devel] missing prj files

Hi Adrian,

> We probably agree on almost everything.

Yes, reading you followup, I think yes.

> If the layer to be added does not have any projection info and the map
> has a projection we should:
>  1) complain loudly
>  2) allow users to presume the layer matches the map 'in this project'
>  3) ?ADVANCED? Give users a way to write the matching projection info

I also like the third action, because it gives me the feeling that it
also "educates" the user to take care of the projection.

> Your example of tiff is more difficult. If we don't know how to anchor
> the tiff, merely having projection info doesn't help. we'd need
> orientation/extent or ... So again, we complain loudly but I can't think
> of a reasonable default for applying the image 'in this project' you
> know much more so perhaps have good ideas.

It isn't a big problem. As you say prj is not enough. But users are
used to have the worldfiles, so once again, only the prj is the
problem. I think exactly the same workflow you reported above should
apply.

> Of course, I don't get to do the work so I don't have much of a right to
> this opinion. Good luck finding a user-friendly solution.

Hey, I think a shared view of this is important and we need to talk
about it, so don't dare to leave us alone in this. :)
Regarding the implementation part, I would volunteer for that, it
shouldn't be difficult, once we define what should happen.

Ciao
Andrea