Re: [udig-devel] Help wanted for testing

- info tool on WMS with 3 layers loaded: cities, parks, elevation/bath

I click on a park:
- cities is empty as expected
- parks shows info, as expected
- elevation shows the following error:

Impossibile visualizzare la pagina XML
Impossibile visualizzare l'input XML tramite il foglio di stile .
Correggere l'errore, quindi fare clic su Aggiorna, oppure riprovare in
un momento successivo.

Non valido al primo livello del documento. Errore durante
l'elaborazione della risorsa "http://dev1.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/...

^

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM, andrea antonello
<andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> Source)
>        at net.refractions.udig.project.internal.render.impl.RenderJob.startRendering(Unknown
> Source)
>        at net.refractions.udig.project.internal.render.impl.RenderJob.run(Unknown
> Source)
>        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
> Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Exception rendering layer
> DefaultMapLayer[ Test, VISIBLE, style=StyleImpl<NO_PARENT>[
> name=Default Styler],
> data=org.geotools.data.wfs.WFSFeatureSource@1da13c0, query=Query:
> [Request All Features]
>   feature type: null
>   filter: Filter.NONE
>   [properties:  ALL ]]
>        at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.paint(StreamingRenderer.java:467)
>        at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.paint(StreamingRenderer.java:374)
>        ... 5 more
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Timeout
>        at org.geotools.xml.gml.FCBuffer.hasNext(FCBuffer.java:324)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.WFSFeatureReader.loadElement(WFSFeatureReader.java:184)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.WFSFeatureReader.hasNext(WFSFeatureReader.java:173)
>        at org.geotools.data.ReTypeFeatureReader.hasNext(ReTypeFeatureReader.java:149)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.NonStrictWFSStrategy.createFeatureReaderGET(NonStrictWFSStrategy.java:141)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.NonStrictWFSStrategy.createFeatureReader(NonStrictWFSStrategy.java:103)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.StrictWFSStrategy.access$101(StrictWFSStrategy.java:44)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.StrictWFSStrategy$StrictFeatureReader.nextReader(StrictWFSStrategy.java:165)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.StrictWFSStrategy$StrictFeatureReader.init(StrictWFSStrategy.java:114)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.StrictWFSStrategy$StrictFeatureReader.<init>(StrictWFSStrategy.java:88)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.StrictWFSStrategy.createFeatureReader(StrictWFSStrategy.java:68)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.NonStrictWFSStrategy.getFeatureReader(NonStrictWFSStrategy.java:75)
>        at org.geotools.data.wfs.WFSDataStore.getFeatureReader(WFSDataStore.java:848)
>        at org.geotools.data.DefaultFeatureResults.reader(DefaultFeatureResults.java:147)
>        at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.getReader(StreamingRenderer.java:1178)
> projection how would the map be expected to behave?  Give me a few scenarios
> for example:
>
> 1.  Just the one layer is there
> 2.  A bunch of layers with no CRS
> 3.  A mix of layers some with PRJ and some with out.
>
> I'd guess the first two would be pretty simple.  If the data is in the same
> projection they should just show up with the zoom to world.  The Map CRS
> could be... Cartesian or the Passthrough CRS I guess.
>
> For the third well strange things will happen when you zoom to the layer
> with lat long when the others aren't in lat long.
>
> Also could you give me some examples of "odd things happen"

Hi Jesse,
was answering Adrian, so a part of what you ask is there.

The summary of that all is:

What people expect to happen is that if they have a projection set for
a map, if they add layers without projection info, the layer is
interpreted as being in the projection of the map. No doubt about
that. Arcview does it like that and people expect it to be like that
:)

So the scenario is just one: if no prj information is there, the layer
(shp, tiff, whatever) should be interpreted as living in the prj of
the map. If the layer is the first, and the prj is not yet defined, it
is ok to go in the generic 2d space.

Andrea

> Jesse
>

> On 5-Jun-08, at 10:46 AM, Adrian Custer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 09:35 +0200, andrea antonello wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I want to take this to discussion once more.
>>>
>>> When a shapefile (or any other) doesn't have a prj file, sometimes odd
>>> things happen.
>>>
>>> Most esri users complain about the fact that they don't need prj files :)
>>> Apart of the hilarious thing, I think we should deal with the fact
>>> that many many people can have problems with this.
>>>
>>> My proposal is simple. When a missing projection information problem
>>> occurs, we ask the user if they want to have the projection file
>>> defined through the actual map projection information.
>>
>> What is this supposed to mean? If there's no projection info, then there
>> is no projection merely a 'dump' from file coordinate space to screen
>> coordinate space.
>>
>> Also imagine you are a user with no clue. I'd click "ok". Then someone
>> with a clue comes along and I've borked the file set for them (because I
>> added a bad .prj).
>>
>> So, unless you do this right, don't do it. Rule 0. Do no harm.
>>
>> --adrian
>>

>>> What do you think, would that be feasible/make sense?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrea