Re: [udig-devel] Split tool for neighbors

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 14:39 -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Afternoon Mauricio,
>
> I am looking at an interesting "problem" (ie oversite) for the coverage
> tool on trunk; the coverage tool is used to edit polygons that are
> surrounded by "neighbors", when you edit the boundaries of the polygon
> you need the neighbors to change shape as well so there are no gaps or
> overlaps.
>
> Everything going is fine .... until the Split tool comes to town, the
> split tool will split a polygon, but when you got to edit with the
> coverage tools the neighbors no longer have a common vertex where the
> new split occurred!
>
> I would like to change the split tool so it introduces a new vertex;
> even on polygons that are not bisected.

Hey Jody,

Your assumption only makes sense from a user perspective but, in the new
ISO Feature model, only is legitimate if your layer is:
  (1) a true coverage
  (2) a set of features with inter-associated edges
so you may want to be careful. This behaviour can be explicitly required
in the future with the feature associations in the ISO feature model.
That also means that the lack of formal association between polygon
edges should be interpreted as a time when this linked editing should
*not* happen.

cheers,
--adrian