Re: [udig-devel] Re: Maps and LayerViews across multiple WorkbenchWindows

Monika Wnuk wrote:
I think I'm good in explaining things in a way that makes them sound much more difficult than they are :-).
A good trick that.
Actually, I don't want the maps to track the same area!
That makes it much easier :-) Ignore the previous email about "Open with..." (that was for if you are defining new MapEditor types).
We don't need any interaction between them such as joint panning or zooming by now. With "using layers partly distinct" I simply tried to say that there are some geoResources which will be used by all maps (e.g. administrative boundaries) and some which will be used exclusively by any of the maps. E.g.: Map 1 contains the "administrative boundaries" layer and the "sensor observations" layer. Map 2 also contains the "administrative boundaries" layer (but doesn't necessarily show the same area) and a "rivers" layer.
That will be fine; several maps can draw the same GeoResource. It is a little bit of fun watching the events go when editing (it can be startling when your "changes" in one map do not show up in the others until committed).

An idea for you to consider:
- based on your earlier description it sounds like you have specific activities planned for the different windows; you may want to define a perspective for each activity (as per the custom application tutorial). - we could associate a perspective with a Map; and switch the perspective to match the Map when it is opened - but only if the idea is help for you.
Note an easy: an easy way to do what you want would be to have multiple workbench windows; and a single application
So maybe I do not see the wood for the trees. I just want to have multiple maps (being independent from each other) opened programmatically in multiple windows in a single application. In addition, each window shall have an independent LayersView. How is this manageable with the current uDig framework?
We took off the menu option to "open a new workbench" due to lack of testing time; we can add it again if your project is going to end up testing it for the community. You can try out the idea yourself now in Eclipse
(Windows
Interesting; you could also keep editors in sync by:
- arrange for them to have the same Viewport Model
- set up a "sync viewport" idea so that all open editors track the same navigation commands (not sure if you just want them to look at the same location & scale; or if you want them to track the same coordinate reference system?)
However, this sounds interesting for the case that I would like to have the maps in sync in the future. I think it would also be possible to use ViewportListeners by the editors. The "sync viewport" solution would also be good since we use WGS 84 throughout the application.
I would prefer the "sync viewport" idea (we need a better name); since the line of communication is already needed to communicate between the MapEditor and the Search view.

Let's remember this idea for if/when we need it.
Once again, thanks for your support!
Moni
No worries :-)
Jody