Re: [udig-devel] Re: Maps and LayerViews across multiple WorkbenchWindows

Good Morning,
Hi Jody,

our application (crisis management) will consist of minimum 4 screens each of them containing a thematic set of views within a dedicated perspective. The first screen will contain a situation overview map with a dedicated set of layers. The second screen will contain several maps visualizing sensor observations in detail thus using layers partly distinct from those of the situation map in the first screen. The third screen will have another map with again a different scope and different layers than the maps in the latter screens. Each screen shall also provide a layers view for the map(s) displayed in it.
Question; what is the extent of interaction between the screens? (ie what does "using layers partly distinct" mean to you) Are they all going to zoom & pan together or something?

Note an easy: an easy way to do what you want would be to have multiple workbench windows; and a single application :-) But that idea falls down if you want the Maps to all track the same area.
The difficulty of this concept is that we will have to (probably) set up three MapEditor instances (one in each screen) simultaneously being "feeded" by a MapEditorInput respectively.
Interesting; you could also keep editors in sync by:
- arrange for them to have the same Viewport Model
- seperate out the "visibility" part of the layers model and allow each editor to have its own seperate visbility "toggles" (something similar to the "filters" or "working sets" idea used in many of the eclipse views) - set up a "sync viewport" idea so that all open editors track the same navigation commands (not sure if you just want them to look at the same location & scale; or if you want them to track the same coordinate reference system?)

Also note that we do perform a few hacks to determine the "bounds of the current editor" so that the catalog search by bbox will work even though the catalog view is defined way earlier in the application than the map editor. We could set up a formal line of communication for "current viewport" information; and editors could have a chance to track that information using a "sync viewport" button.
My questions are: is it possible to use multiple MapEditor INSTANCES simultaneously?
Yes. All MapEditors are kept seperated from the Map model objects via events and commands, having multiple editors open on the same map should not be a problem.
Ain't it a problem, that in the uDig-Project MapEditor.java defines the only "editors" -
extension (org.eclipse.ui.editors; identified by the unique extension ID net.refractions.udig.project.ui.mapEditor) which is referenced by the only available "editorInputs"-extension (net.refractions.udig.project.ui.editorInputs) - MapEditorInput.java? Or should we better instead set up 3 separate editors-/editorInputs-extensions (one set of editor/editorInput per screen) which would EXTEND MapEditor.java and MapEditorInput.java?
I am not that close to the details right now; we should set it up so you can do the normal eclipse thing of "Open" (with the default editor. or the one used last time) or "Open With..." and have a list of available for that content type.

(Once again we don't add any functionality hooks into udig until there is a request for it on the devel list; we are not against adding new functionality - but we always want a real world request for fear of building more software than is useful / used).
I hope I could make our point clear to you. Thanks for your support!
If you can answer that one question; I am pretty sure you want your "Maps" to track the same spot on the world but I would like to be clear.
Jody

Back to the top