Re: [udig-devel] to R or not to R

Hi Jesse,

> Super interesting stuff.  Have you actually tried either of these?
> How Statet integrates their R.  Do they have some JNI or something?

I'm not sure, on a first very quick review I couldn't understand it,
I hoped that someone on the list had tried it :)
The python interface looks very nice. I'm just not sure if it will work
in jython, because I never gave a look at that. Will it wrap the
installed pyhton and there fore have all the packages? Is it a straight
implementation? I will have to give it a look :)

> Can you make use of their console somehow?  how does it compare to
> what you have?  Just curious.

No, I don't thinks so. Our goal is that to mix up some languages in
order to interact "spatially" with each other. So for example I could
create some raster maps throught grass or jgrass algorithms and then on
the generated maps I would want to do some R analysis. Or inverse for
example do a Kriging through R (ex. from a point layer in a database),
which then writes a GRASS raster, and then access it with grass/jgrass
commands. This forces us to stay inside our editor and console, in
order to be able to follow the whole workflow.

Andrea