From: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jesse
Eichar
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 1:37 PM
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Couple minor annoyances about RC12

On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:34 AM, Parks, Aaron B. wrote:

> RC12 is cool and does render stuff much faster.  I'm about to launch a
> pilot program converting some GT 2.0 (styled map pane) stuff to
> Udig, so
> you may be hearing more from me.  In the mean time, here are some
> minor
> annoyances with RC12:
>
> 1)  My start menu launcher doesn't work.  I know this has been
> beaten to
> death but I thought I would mention it.

I have recently found a new issue when uDig is not installed on the
same drive as the user's home.  Is this the case with you?

> 2)  If you right click on the catalog, select import, data, files that
> will pop up a browse window.  If you cancel that window, hit back,
> then
> go to files (again) and hit next all you get is a blank window.

Fair enough.  I've noticed that.

> 3)  Import a shape file and put it on a map.  Go back to import and
> select several huge (I used .5 to one gig) shape files.  After several
> minutes of processing only the first layer indexed will be listed
> in the
> catalog.  This seems to only occur if you index several large
> shps.  You
> can get the layers listed by leaving the tab and coming back.  Once
> listed they render fine.

Exellent bug.  We need a more efficient indexer.  It uses a ton of
memory.  That is probably the problem.  Often for large shapefiles I
still use the mapserver's indexing tool shptree I think is what it is
called.

Jesse