Re: [udig-devel] Mapserver WFS, PostGIS and uDig

Welcome! (comments are inline) I should of course ask what version of uDig you are using?
Hi uDiggers,

uDig is a very promising tool. Hats off to the developers. I've
encountered however a problem or two in relation to Mapserver-based
WFS and PostGis
We do have a long history of oddities with the Mapserver (and indeed *all* WFS implementations) uDig follows the specification to the letter so it is very easy to configure MapServer incorrectly and confuse matters.
(and also with regard to raster reading but I'll keep
this problem for some other time). I'm kind of a newbie so I hope
nobody will be annoyed by my ignorance.
The raster stuff is *great* - but only on trunk :-) The underpinnings have been rewritten over the course of a couple of years for another project and uDig only just has started to benefit from it. I hope we can make something available for you to download over the next couple of months, right now it is only available in source code form.
1) When uDig connects to my PostGIS database, it imports all layers as
lines. On the import form it "renders" all layers with the correct
icons but once imported it's all lines.
That does seems strange - it sounds like the code to create a default style is choosing the wrong one. uDig does check the table information in order to figure out what kind of geometry is available, I will see if I can reproduce the problem here - if not I will have to ask you more questions.
2) When uDig connects to my Mapserver-PostGIS-based WFS server it
renders all layers as a square with a horizontal and vertical line in
it. Apparently it can't read the layer geometry at all. Even though no
explicit error message is displayed, the layers are not correctly
imported.

Has anybody encountered these problems already and found a solution to
these? Is the problem at Mapserver, PostGIS or uDig level?
Often their are configuration problems at all three :-) Can I ask if your MapServer is working correctly as a WMS for uDig?

Jody

Back to the top