Re: [udig-devel] splitting line segment

mmm ... a beer!, I can lose this :-). Well, Your are right, split tools is
thinking to work over a few features, but we need establish a limit because
the tools are undoable and uDig could have memory problems.

To work with many features (all features of a layer or many selected) we are
developing Spatial Operations. We have not Split Operation now but maybe the
problem could be solved with "Intersection Operation".

Using Intersect Operation I would do the following:
1. Create a layer with the geometries required to intersect, two polygons by
example.
2. split first step: Intersect the source layer using the first polygon and
create a result layer
3. split second step: Intersect the same source, now using the second polygon,
and selecting the same result layer (that used in step 2) .

If we think that split a feature is delete the original and create two new the
previous process has a fail, we still maintain the source features because
the "Intersect Operation" does not delete the originally features (I think I
lose my beer with the last comment).

well you can see more about Intersect and spatial operations in

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9947

Cheers