[udig-devel] Need help to change the schema and add new attribute types in a new layer

Hello:
I am trying to create a new layer from a group of features from another existing layer but I would like to change the schema from the data store first to add then new attribute types and new attributes to the features. I would appreciate some advice on this.
So far I have done the following:
      1) Got the features from an old existing layer
      2) Got an iterator to get each feature an add them to an array of Features (Features [])
      3) I used the 'addFeatures' method with a 'FeatureReader'
      4) created the new Layer (this is just a copy from the old one) (*)
/******************************************************************/
(*)//This is the method to create the new layer, it has a lot of deprecated functions.....
    public void featuresToShapefile(String fileName,Feature[] features) throws Exception{
        File file=new File(fileName);
        ShapefileDataStore datastore = new ShapefileDataStore(file.toURL());
        datastore.createSchema(features[0].getFeatureType());
         /** file saving*/
        FeatureStore featureStore = (FeatureStore) (datastore.getFeatureSource());
        FeatureReader aReader = DataUtilities.reader(features);
        try {
             featureStore.addFeatures(aReader);
         }catch (Exception e) {
             System.err.println(e.getMessage());
         }

             /** Adding the generated shape to the current map*/
             List<IService> shpServiceList = new ServiceFactoryImpl().aquire(file.toURL());

             /**ArrayList<IGeoResource> LayersList = null;*/
             for( IService service : shpServiceList ) {
                 if (service != null) {
                     if (service.members(null) != null) {
                         try {
                             MapFactory.instance().process(null, service.members(null), false);
                             break;
                         } catch (Exception e) {
                             System.err.println(e.getMessage());
                         }