[udig-devel] [Fwd: Hi]

Hello,

I'm forwarding your mail to Geotools-users list and to uDig list to give
it more exposure.

        WARNING! From what I can tell, your needs are right at the edge
        of what geotools/udig can do 'off the shelf'. This will impact
        how quickly and cheaply you can develop the applications
        required for your users. Depending on your budget, it would be
        smart to contact the few companies who are working on the
        geospatial applications and see if you could hire them for the
        parts of this work that is beyond your reach. That
        recommendation is merely to save you time and money but you can
        decide.

>From a quick overview, it sounds like you will need several pieces to
pull together the system you have in mind. It does sound like a central
database would be warranted. If your users are only going to do simple
analyses, you could provide them with a browser interface although if
they are going to do more complex things, you should look into providing
uDig. The uDig client has the basics you mention but printing and even
export to an image is currently less than robust.

I would suggest you first work on your design documents to get a list of
objectives and the time frame in which the different pieces are needed.

I would encourage you to get a good handle on PostGIS (the GIS enhanced
version of PostgreSQL), on Web Mapping Server, and Web Feature Server to
understand which of that back end technology you will need.

Then I would encourage you to assess the browser vs. desktop client to
see how much power your clients need. Note that your remote users can
either work directly against the database over the network or can work
through a web server---both are possible it's merely a question of
update convenience versus power of the client.

Finally, once you have a good handle on the functionality you want to
provide and on the technology package you want, then you can assess what
can be used off the shelf, what work you will need to do to configure
and install the technology and what technology you will need to develop.
If you need to develop new functionality, I would really encourage you
to assess if your budget allows you to hire some of the companies
involved in developing the database, server, web client or desktop
client software---because the knowledge required to get going is fairly
large, they will probably be much more efficient than newcomers like
yourselves. That said, if you plan on using this technology often over
then next decade, then by all means teach yourself how to use it and
develop the pieces you need.

In short, my recommendation is to spend a bunch of time now on the
design both making a clean and detailed explanation of what you want to
be able to do and then assessing the technological options, development
and operating costs, and long term benefits of open systems. While you
might want to compile and develop right away, learning to compile
geotools will come down the road if and when you really need to do that.

all the best,

--adrian