Re: [udig-devel] udig life cd

Andrea Antonello wrote:
1) the udig executable has no command line arguments? For example to
pass it a project to be loaded. I couldn't find any.
It takes the same kind of command line arguments as the eclipse.exe - so you can set the directory it
uses for its configuration settings and so on.

At a more fundamental level you can replace the code it uses to store preferences (say to database
rather then files); this is something we have looked into in the past.
2) when launching udig from a cd, which is obviously readonly, is the
default workspace created in the home? I assume it is not possible to
have a project launched from cd, since the workspace containes
.metadata, which are read and written every time to remember the
perspective's configuration and other nice stuff.
You can supply a command line argument; or change the ini file to specify a different location.
3) the data instead should be no problem, even if readonly, just you
will not be able to change the style, right?
Well you can change the presentation; just not save the change. I do think jesse tries to write out the project file all the time (perhaps this decision would need to be changed). The seek time on a CD
is horrible - so the rendering experience would be very bad.
4) imagine to have to automagically load a whole pile of geotiffs and
geojpgs. Obviously you can't preload them, instead you could have
somewhere a list with the bounds and you could load only the visible
ones in the window and also make the visualization scaledependent. Where
could I best nest the regarding code for this?
The raster support should cover all this - but the raster support is not available for uDig 1.1 (we need
to update our version of GeoTools).
5) is it the product that one creates to keep the packaging infos, i.e.
if I create a viewer with just sdk classes and no others, than will
anyone be able to recreate that viewer just by having the product plugin?
Not sure I understand that ... they can create the viewer just using the plugins (the product is only helping
you manage what plugins are used - you could do it all by hand).
Thanks for any help that you will (hopefully) give me :)
Cheers,
Jody

Back to the top