[udig-devel] uDig Plugin Project - Business Opportunity

Greetings to all:

This note is to developers who may be interested in creating a uDig plugin for
a project called VRMapper.

In a nutshell, VRMapper is a fast and simple to use photographic surveying,
large scale mapping and visualization system.  The system will enable users
to capture a local network of birds-eye aerial panorama photographs (up to
25 feet above GL) that can then be immersively viewed/analysed and used to
visually map/measure point/line/polyline features with accurate and
quantifiable results (horizontal & vertical).   The image capture system can
actually be used indoors or outdoors and is remarkably fast & easy to use.

VRMapper consists of two main components:
1) Image capture hardware- a) VRPhotopod- which is a telescoping monopod
with a universal camera mount and a direction and leveling device;  b) laser
ranging platform (indoor/outdoor) to easily capture one or more critical
distances for scale;  c) photo network cone target and pole target.

2) uDig Plugin core functions-  a) enables users to load/view full 360
degree panorama's, partial (<360degree) panorama's and normal rectilinear
photo's  b)  derive direction observations from the photos and input the
photo network observed distances, coordinates and elevations  c) vertically
and horizontally adjust the photo survey network (using least square
adjustment engine wrapped within uDig)  d) measure/map visible features  e)
basic photo markup tools

There are a myriad of applications including forensic accident/crime scenes,
archaelogy, forestry, engineering, surveying, environmental/resource/facility mapping
and GIS.

The image capture system was developed and tested on various networks and
then compared to legal survey grade measurements of the same network.  The
photo network results were excellent.

I completed a draft plugin design that outlines the detailed workflow, GUI
design, use cases and the panorama viewing criteria.  The document shows the
core features and discusses wish list items as well (please see this link):
http://www.vrmapper.com/draft.html

If you are a developer that would like to join the project as an equal
venture (50/50) partner or if you have any questions/comments please contact
me at my email or phone me at the address below.  I have a business plan
that provides the complete project details.  I am, of course, very open to
making the project development work with your schedule.

Thank you,

jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim Sutherland
Victoria, BC