Re: [Geoserver-users] [udig-devel] R: R: SLD editor

There is an interesting tension between desktop SLD goals and server SLD goals. On the desktop the thematic mapping is important, to quickly adjust properties to visualize patterns and the like. Which is why uDig's hit that first. On the server side, however, what we really want is the ability to set different zoom levels. One doesn't care so much about zoom levels for desktop mapping, since it's really easy to adjust the style to see details for the area you're on. Or you're setting up a map for printing, which is just one zoom level.

The design I'm thinking for GeoServer is to have it oriented around the set zoom levels of the Tile Map Server. When you define a rule of a style you can easily set which zoom levels (1 to 17 or so) you want it to appear at. Within that you'd rules and filters. It'd be great if uDig did this, but it's more of a web mapping thing so I don't have high hopes for the immediate future. But a tree editor would be a nice start.

Chris

Jesse Eichar wrote:
uDig will have a better SLD editor before too long but the most common cases are most important to address when starting out. A good SLD editor would be great. A good UI is one of the things holding us back. The current paradigm is to make a tree editor. Where each node in the tree is an SLD component. Ideas are welcome as this is an important issue and a difficult one to solve. Screen mock-ups would really help.

Jesse