[udig-devel] R: [Geoserver-users] R: SLD editor

I completely agree: there is a big middle ground between the simplest SLD and the monstrous one currently uncovered by a tool (neither open source nor proprietary, as far as I know). In a typical GIS scenario we see the GIS operator (as such, not a programmer able to hand-code the SLD) creating important thematic symbolizations for data he/she has built. Every commercial GIS software today can do that (ArcGis, MicroStation, AutoCAD, Geomedia, etc.) but there's no way to export that simbolization in SLD.

We found this: http://arcmap2sld.geoinform.fh-mainz.de/ArcMap2SLDConverter_Eng.htm

The interesting idea is that you can use all the power and user-friendlyness of such a rich tool like ArcGis and having its thematism converted in an SLD file; of course that conversion tool is far from complete :-(

If I can say, I think it was a pity to have several very basic SLD editors open source (MapBuilder, maybe Geoserver is creating one too), even web based (isn't it a nonsense to create such a complex GUI tool in a web interface?), and not developing a single robust and complete tool, like uDig could became (there are not many fast improvements in this direction, it seems to me).

Only my 1 cent.

Cheers,

Fabio

Back to the top