[udig-devel] A unique colour for each Feature

Hi Andrea - now we are into scientific visualization, colour theory and in short how to lie with maps (http://www.amazon.com/How-Maps-2nd-Mark-Monmonier/dp/0226534219 ).

So I totally understand your request (and have made plenty of maps like that myself) - but one thing I have learned is that they do not communicate anything. If your point is that all the parishes are *different* then you can do that more effectively by coloring them the same and using a thicker contrasted border (border emphasis the difference rather then the color changes - an easy example is that somewhere on your map of Italy two parishes will end up with colours so close that the eye will not be able to notice the difference and this they will be joined visually).

But enough of my rant - you can make up additional style configuration pages - including one that will map from FeatureID.hashCode() to a colour. I recommend calling the page "Unique" or "Random" - using FeatureID will keep the mapping stable as people zoom in or pan, it will also allow the style page to be used for all FeatureTypes (even those without an ID column).

Oh and do me a favour - use a larger border when setting up that Style.

I love the smell of cartography in the morning.
Cheers,
Jody
In fact I love those colorschemes.
What I was trying to explain is that if the grouping is by bins, then,
just to do a simple example:

I have a shapefile with all the parishes of Italy. About 1000 and some
more. Let's say I have just an ID attribute and the IDs were taken from
north to south. Now I want to render them, showing them all different.
With the actual approach it takes the first 80 and colors them the same
way and so on. The result is a map of Italy in stripes, instead of an
arlecchino as I wanted to.

Ciao
Andrea

Cheers,
Jody
Andrea

Jesse Eichar wrote:
Hi,

I am releasing RC9 right now which has fixed a number of critical
problems loading images that were uncovered in RC8.  You can try it
out at:

Windows:
<http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/RC9/udig-1.1.RC9-unofficial.exe>
Linux:
<http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/RC9/udig-1.1.RC9-unofficial.linux.gtk.x86.zip>

Mac OSX:
<http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/RC9/udig-1.1.RC9-unofficial.macosx.carbon.x86.zip>

For ECW I think that we have to wait for the gdal backed support which
is under development but I don't l know when it will be ready for "real"
use.  Send an email to the geotools list for an answer on that.

Finally if there is no .prj then you will probably need RC9 because it
allows you to tell a layer what the projection is.

Jesse