Re: [udig-devel] JGrass goes UDig IRC document

Ciao guys,
I have read the document myself and I have a few remarks/thoughts/corrections myself:

-----> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/JGRASS/raster (GRASS raster format section)
I would rephrase the solutions proposed by uDig (who's this guy? :-) )

PROBLEM:
Consuming JGrass Binary format.

SOLUTION 1
If you have read/write software you don't necessarily need to create a geotools reader/writer you just need to create an adapter from your model to GridCoverage and pass that to the GridCoverageRenderer.

SOLUTION 2
Write a fully-fledged plugin for GeoTools Coverage package

THOUGHTS
The StreamingRenderer uses Coverage Plugins' Readers to create coverages when feeding the GridCoverageRender. It does so by providing an envelope and the requested viewport size to the reader which selects the best availaible resolution depending on the view's resolution and on the capabilities of the underlying format in terms of overviews and/or decimation on reading, as well as tiling. If we go directly to the GridCoverageRenderer no "external" optimization is performed and the provided data is processed. This means no overviews and no decimation.

In this special case (JGrass binary format) we could do subsetting and decimation on the fly at the reader level as well as intelligent tiling. JGRass binary format has stripes like striped geotiff so in the end what you could do is loading only the stripes you need and of each stripe only the needed part possibly with a bit of multithreading (undelrying JAI-ImageIO framework comes with that by almost by default) If we develop a plugin there also are various tricks that we can use to speed things up
External overviews - we add (it's easy) support for external overviews like in gdal - this requires to preprocess the raster Internal pyramid - (not as easy) use an in-memory pyramid, Simboss coded 2 for geotif but never tested enough to release it can be very fast but it is still unstable
Of course this approach has a cost in term of time which is not negligible, hence I would recommed it except in the case of qorking under very sstringent deadlines.

If you wrap your architecture behind a GridCoverage2D you might loose some performance gain ( in some cases, with big dataset you would get awful performances) and you might waste a lot of time trying to actually mimic the GridCoverage2D. IMHO the latter solution could be much faster but could also generate some (quite some? ) problems later on. It would great to investigate this path a bit deeper, especially if this integration needs to be done very quickly.

----->http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/JGRASS/datamodel
PROBLEM:
Integrating an existing 3D data model like VisAD in uDig.

SOLUTION 1
Sorry, no time yet to think about an integration.

Cheers,
Simone.

----- Original Message ----- From: Jesse Eichar