Re: [udig-devel] uDIG current and future issues and requirements

Hey Shaun,

First of all ECW is not supported, at least not yet. The second problem is occurring because you do not have JAI installed correctly (or uDig is using the wrong JVM). We generally ship a JRE with udig that is configured correctly. Usually if an eclipse RCP has a directory called jre in the same directory as the RCP binary it uses that jre. But I guess something went wrong when it got installed. If you are willing to run the app from the command line you can try:

udig -vm path_to_java -Xmx386M

this will use the jre you specified and execute udig with 386 MB of heap space. If the jre is configured with both JAI and imageio tifs should be loadable provided they have a world file or are geotiffs. uDig doesn't load non geo-referenced images. Remember that you need at least java 5.

Here's a link to a jre that is supposed to be ready for use (I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it but it should be good.):

http://udig.refractions.net/downloads/jre/jre1.5.0_08.win32.zip

Feel free to hop on irc.freenode.net #udig IRC channel for more interactive instructions,

Jesse