Re: [udig-devel] Testing for RC9 (plus image pyramid plans)

Hi all,

I would like just to add a couple issues to Adrian's feedback, which arises
from my experience working on editting tools lately

1) Table view.
Table view has become a table editor. Thus it would be very useful to:
 a) being able to open more than one view (like the "new console view" option
in eclipse's console view)
 b) stick a view to a layer, so one is able of changing the current layer
without loosing the currently being editted attribute set
 c) some way to "update batch" a given attribute for the selected features.
Like for setting the street_code to the selected street segments.

2) Toolbar and menus
It is not completely evident what the tool grouping criteria is on the
toolbars. Even more, there are a lot of tool that have a button but lack a
menu entry. I guess tool buttons should be a subset of the ones available
through the menus.
There are two toolbars, and both have navigation, information and edition
tools mixed.
I would suggest the following grouping per toolbar:
  * navigation
	- back
	- forward
	- redraw
	- stop
	- full extent
	- zoom+
	- zoom-
	- zoom
	- pan
	- zoom to selection
  * information
	- bbox selection
	- info
  * editting
	- commit
	- rollback
	- feature edition (edit, add vertex, etc)
	- feature creation (line, point, polygon, rectangle, etc)
	- edit tools (trim, clip, split, etc)

3) Edition control
Adrian spoke about being able to draw vertical/horizontal lines while creating
a geometry. I think the topic goes beyond to the point that, while editing
geometries, it is necessary to combine different techniques, thus the
selection of a feature creation/modification tool should set a "mode", in
order that other context sensitive "modifiers" can be used.
Examples:
	- being editing a line and set an "ortho" mode which only allows horizontal
and vertical lines, or even enabling the drawing of line segments orthogonal
to another one from another feature.
	- being editing a line and set the edition mode temporarily parallell to
another, existing one.
        - while adding vertices to a line, draw an arc and then continue
adding straight segments.

of course there are much more possible examples. AutoCAD is the most feature
rich app I know on this regard.

4) Transaction handling
 The commit buttong is always enabled, even if there are no open transaction.
Same for rollback. It could be usefull to have a transaction log view, so one
could visualize what's pending.

5) Enabling selection on multiple layers.
This one seems like a key requirement in order to leverage the current
platform interactions to be reused on editting tools and geoprocessing
operations. Though implementation details are a topic for another thread, I
guess we should agree that multiple layers with a selection set are needed.
Let's discuss the how later. So far, commenting out the else clause with
layer.setFiler(Filter.ALL) in MapImpl makes the trick by now (except clear
selection starts to missbehave a little)

That said, I think we're really in the process of making udig a great GIS
editor.

regards,

Gabriel