Re: [udig-devel] Comparison uDIG, OpenJUMP, gvSIG: rendering, table view, memory

Paul Ramsey ha scritto:

The difference between the uDig versions wasn't just speed. It was didn't work vs. work. If you are referring to the difference between JUMP and uDig on editing, then the difference is in the number and sophistication of the editing tools in JUMP with their CAD-like snap and constraint management. Of course, I feel the same way when I have to use ArcMap for an editing or data creation task, so it can't be too bad. ;-) I find that many professional GIS data creators use AutoCAD for some part of the task because the GIS tools are so primitive. That simply isn't the case with OpenJUMP which has a very CAD-like feel with the unlimited undo/redo and data QC tools to ensure your newly created data is correct. I understand the need for uDig's commit and rollback, but it doesn't feel the same. Don't worry about the speed. If it seems responsive, it is fast enough.

Responsive? It seemed as slow as a turtle to me, rc9 will be much better :-p Ah, different points of view :-)

But I agree on editing stuff, I've worked in places where they did throw
away ESRI stuff and went Autocad Map exactly because of the editing
features.
They only needed to be able and connect to Oracle spatial and import/export shapefiles, AM did both.
I've used Autocad for quite a bit, and I have to agree with the above
statement, GIS tools are usually quite pathetic in the editing subsystem.

Cheers
Andrea

Back to the top