Re: [udig-devel] JGrass and uDig

Quoting Antonello Andrea <andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxx>:

> * [A.D. 24/01/07 07:41], jeichar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <jeichar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> probably wrote:
> > Ok Slightly more informed now.
> >
> > As far as I know wednesday is a good time for me to meet.  I assume you are
> some
> > 9 hours later than us who live on the Pacific?
>
> Yes, it should be 9.
>
> > So perhaps 10:00 PST? Although
> > if you would like I could get online at 7:00 PST as well.
>
> Just to be sure I don't miss my first meeting :)
>
> Is this ok?
> Victoria (Canada - British Columbia)	Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 10:00:00
> AM	UTC-8 hours PST
> Rome (Italy)	Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 7:00:00 PM
	UTC+1 hour CET

> For me 7:00 PST is also ok.

You were supposed to choose :-)  Since you're leaving it to me I'll choose 10:00
AM PST wednesday January 31.

> > Integration into uDig should not be such a big problem.  We have carefully
> > designed the catalog and Renderers for just this sort of issue.  For
> example I
> > have added OSSIM to uDig.  The only reason we don't have public OSSIM
> plugins is
> > because of problems getting the libraries required OSSIM to be recognized
> by
> > eclipse (and the problem of building/obtaining all the libraries).
> >
> > I will be happy to give you support in doing this.
>
> This is good news, thanks for proposing. I'll need to have some start
> help to not get stuck in the swamp too early.
>
> > This will allow you to display the raw data.  Next you will need a style.
> The
> > StyleConfigurator extension point allows you to hook into uDig and define a
> > style for your data.  Again you will have very few dependencies outside of
> your
> > own library to do this.
>
> What about the rendering? How is it done for the coverage maps?

Right now we don't do too much styling for raster data.  Just transparency
levels.  We use the SLD styling configurator.  Having a Styler is not required
for rendering but obviously you will need one at some point in the future so you
can create color maps and so on.

> > Finally we have an operation framework that allows operations to be run on
> > objects in the uDig workbench.  They will typically be what ever object (or
> > objects) selected by in a view.
>
> This is the most interesting for us. I've seen that taking mouse
> interaction is easy and clean. However we need to have a set of command
> modules that do the analises. Very important will be that they can also
> be piped one after the other. Also one of our aims is to gain OpenMI
> compliance
> (http://www.openmi.org/) for the modules. I can't understand very well
> in which space those modules should reside. I'm not sure, but it doesn't
> seem to me that udig has analisys tools that are out of the GIS base,
> like the ones we would like to introduce.

The operations framework we have right now is very simple, a starting point
really.  It passes the object(s) to the operation that are selected but it does
not have an output.  I made a design at some point for the chaining together of
operations but it was never implemented.  You will probably want to finish that
work  The useful part of the existing operation framework is it takes care of
"enablement" issues.  For example if your operation only works on 2 or more
layers that are on the local file system.  You can define these issues in the
extension point definition and the operations framework will only permit your
operation to run under those conditions.

> > Obviously there are numerous details here I am skipping.
>
> I had the feeling it all was too easy :)
>
> > One issue we will
> > encounter is that the Rendering framework will be re-designed soon.  But
> > hopefully the API changes will be minimal.  The ETA for this is not certain
> but
> > I expect it to occur just after 1.1 is released.
>
> Alright, I was hoping to do not have to deal with the rendering system
> in a first iteration, in which I would like to migrate the analysis
> tools and be able to work with them (I need them for my job :)).

Talk to you on wednesday.  I look forward to it.  On the uDig IRC then?

Jesse

Back to the top