Re: [Geotools-devel] [udig-devel] JGrass and uDig

> > For those that do not know JGrass at all, it is a GIS heavily dedicated to
> > hydrogeomorphologic issues. While it is very advanced in that field, we
> > have problems on everything regarding vectors (features) and in general
> > to keep uptodate the more generic GIS related base.
> >
> > Lots of changes are going on at the moment in the JGrass team and
> > architecture. One thought and wish of mine would be that to join the
> > uDig development and merge all the raster algorythms into it, as well as
> > everything suitable from JGrass. Following the last coverage changes in
> > geotools, I guess this should be possible and would bring positive
> > additions to both groups. Please take into consideration that this would
> > anyway mean a hughe amount of work from our side.
> > To understand if this could be in fact feasible, I would need to talk
> > to someone (or the IRC channel) about advantages and if and how this
> > could be achieved.
> >
> > Please let me first of all know if the uDig team is interested in this and to
> > who I may talk to about this issue.
>
> Thanks for your wonderful offer to collaborate! It would indeed be
> really cool to have access to this functionality in uDig/Geotools. Since
> it sounds like a lot of work we should indeed try to map it out.

Good to here there is interest. I agree about that. The fact is that Too
many java GIS are getting cloned and there are codebase changes of which
no one can then keep the versions uptodate. I think it would be a good
idea to join your team with our raster analysis part and our close
relationship to GRASS.

> When you talk about hydrogeomoprhic work, doesn't this explicitly
> require a 3D data model? I'm assuming you are doing ground water models
> which used to be quite strong in GRASS. If so, Geotools has not yet
> taken on going to a full 3D data model.

At the present time we work mostly on superficial hydrology and
geomorphology on 2D data, but we already gave a close look to the visad 2D
and 3D data model (http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html), since
sooner or later there will be the need of it.

> On the Geotools side, Martin Desruisseaux is one of the best people for
> scientific modeling/raster/georeferencing, Simone Giannecchini is
> leading the push on improved raster technologies, and Jody Garnett has
> been pushing the systematic development strategy. (They are all on the
> geotools list to which I've CC'ed this message.)
>
> On the uDig side, Jesse Eichar is a main contributor to the code. Your
> discussion should try to pull in all those three characters.
>
> Thanks for working on Free GIS and I hope we can find ways to help each
> other,

Thank you Adrian, I will wait for some other feedback and then contact
people directly to start a conversation.

Andrea

> --adrian

HydroloGIS - Environmental Safety Modelling
Siemens Str. 19 via Siemens
I-39100 Bozen - Bolzano
www.hydrologis.com

Andrea Antonello
Environmental Engineer
PhD Student at www.uniurb.it
JGrass, Free Open Source GIS www.jgrass.org
tel.     +39 0471 068065
mobile:  +39 328 8497722
fax:     +39 36 328 8497722
email:   andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Let it be as much a great honour to take as to give learning,
if you want to be called wise."
Skuggsja' - The King's mirror - 1240 Reykjavik