[udig-devel] Read/Writeable Layers with Mapgraphics ...and a Comment

A couple of questions (and thanks for taking the time to read them!).

(1) How do I create a layer that isnt read-only?  Where I can use all the
standard tools in the UDig menu?

  I have some code that works, but it uses a deprecated geotools method
(FeatureTypeFactory.newFeatureType):

try
		{
			Map map = ApplicationGISInternal.getActiveMap();
			IGeoResource resource = null;
			try
			{
				/* code to construct the underlying feature type for a layer */
				AttributeType geom = AttributeTypeFactory.newAttributeType("the_geom",
Geometry.class);
				AttributeType idType = AttributeTypeFactory.newAttributeType("theid",
Integer.class);
				AttributeType nameType =
AttributeTypeFactory.newAttributeType("thename", String.class);
				AttributeType descriptionType =
AttributeTypeFactory.newAttributeType("thedescription", String.class);
				/* add other attribute types here */
				FeatureType featureType = FeatureTypeFactory.newFeatureType(new
AttributeType[] {geom, idType, nameType, descriptionType}, "2D Area Layer");
				resource = CatalogPlugin.getDefault().getLocalCatalog()
				.createTemporaryResource(featureType);
			} catch (FactoryRegistryException e1)
			{
				// TODO Auto-generated catch block
				e1.printStackTrace();
			} catch (IllegalArgumentException e1)
			{
				// TODO Auto-generated catch block
				e1.printStackTrace();
			} catch (SchemaException e1)
			{
				// TODO Auto-generated catch block
				e1.printStackTrace();
			}
			Layer layer = map.getLayerFactory().createLayer(resource);

...is there a better (i.e. non-deprecated) way to do this?

(2) I'd like to create a layer with two resources - first a writeable layer
as above, that supports all geometries, and also associate a mapgraphic
extension with that layer to draw on said layer - is there a way to add both
of these resources to the same layer?  I can get one or the other to work
but not both.

..and finally my comment.  What a superb piece of work uDig is, just truly
amazing ... I cant begin to thank you for the effort you have expended and
the effort it has saved me!

Kind Regards,

Pete Cornwell