Re: [udig-devel] Re: ImageIO-GDAL integration

My experience is that ECW decoding is much more expensive than TIFF one. So, compactness yes, speed no. Fine for a single client, but not so good for a server ...

Andrea Aime wrote:
Paul Ramsey ha scritto:
I would very much like to see an ECW driver or (even better) a JP2000 driver from this project, as such a thing would be widely useful for end users. My priority order would be: JP2000, LAN, ECW, AUX. I assume GeoTIFF is already handled by the existing coverage work? If not, it would go first.

Well, I second Daniele's choice since, at least here in Italy, you either support ECW or they'll start laughing at you. Geotiff is so '90s (it has his merits, but
everybody seems to have gone nuts for ECW's speed and compactness).

Cheers
Andrea