[no subject]

Also beware of GML.  Making an XML schema seems to invite people to
disregard all else.  The XML Schema for GML permits more than is allowed by
the text of the GML standard, and also more than is allowed by the data
model GML is supposed to represent.  People will argue that anything that
validates against the schema should be considered "legal" even if it
conflicts with the text of the GML standard or the model that GML encodes.
You're going to have to defend your #4 from incorrect allegations of it
being broken and resist the temptation to break your codec for everyone
just because someone has produced or needs to receive data which is broken
in a specific way.  Down that road lies madness.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the issue.  :)  Nope not me.

> > I had hoped that a direct mapping could be established between a UML
> > profile and ISO 19109, however I'm now unsure if this is possible.
> > At least not with the "natural" way to use UML profiles...  It looks
> > like an additional layer will be needed to map from the Eclipse UML2
> > model to the GeoAPI interfaces and 4) can be handled by the
> > Geotools/uDig implementation of these interfaces.

Again, I'm not sure I understand the word profile in this context.

I think Eclipse UML2 would only be necessary because you want to use UML2.0
Diag. Int. Files.  Ecore is much smaller and I'm nearly certain it contains
everything required to be ISO compliant (including references, inheritance,
etc.)  Is there a converter between the two?  The only reason I mention it
is because Coverages are being built as Ecore models, which should
kickstart your profileing.

The next two paragraphs are intended to convince you that you need to
declare your scope before it explodes.  :)  Don't get discouraged!  I want to
see UML schema representations happen!!

How do you intend to handle Operations?  When a geographic feature is
specified to have some sort of behavior, how do you want to match it up
with a local version of code in the current environment?  Can't code it in
UML!

More generally, say you have a shapefile containing roads which came from
some random source.  Separately, you have an ISO compliant Roads schema
which you have been working with (maybe even coding against: routing
algorithms and whatnot.)  Can you map the feature attributes in your
shapefile to identically-defined "standard" attributes in the Roads schema,
thereby making all your hard "routing" work available to you?

Back to the top