[udig-devel] Three coding questions

Hey all,

Three questions that have come up in coding uDig

1) Java: can object instances be retyped dynamically?

Consider 'InterfaceA', and 'InterfaceB extends IA' where this simply
adds a method. Is it possible to take an instance of A and somehow add a
definintion of the required method to promote Ainstance to Binstance?
Sorry, I'm sure there is terminology for this but I don't know it.

2) Eclipse: Can Views be created in a Dialog and then embedded?

Views can be 'torn-off' from eclipse in their own window. I wan the
opposite. I'd like to create a view which is presented in a dialog by
default. This would require that it has a "Run Operation" button.
However, I want the essentials of the content to be in a view so that
power users could simply embed the view in their uDig GUI to be able to
run several operations one after the other. Is this possible? Does this
require having an apply 'check mark' like in the 'Style' view? Anyone
know of docs to get started?

3) uDig/Geotools: How do we use FactoryFinders?

I'm kind of confused by all the Factories, FactoryBuilders and
FactoryFinders around. It seems there are several FactoryFinders which
means we have to find the Finders. Is there an explanation of what each
of them do? Is the idea eventually to have a single 'FactoryFinder'
instance that does really find all the factories for all the different
types of objects?

thanks in advance for any answers,
adrian

Back to the top